“Tim makes one awesome pecan pie. He brought it to lab functions several times, as it was always highly requested. He didn’t always use bourbon, but would use whatever he might have on hand at the time. And he always loaded it up with lots of chocolate! This recipe is pretty close to how he’d make it though.” – April Ferre
Bourbon & Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 1 Recipe Single Crust Pie Pastry
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 2 Ounces Unsweetened Chocolate
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 3/4 Cup Dark Corn Syrup or Sugar Cane Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Bourbon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Pecan Halves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the filling: melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, remove from heat and let cool. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until frothy and then blend in the sugar. Stir in the syrup, vanilla, bourbon, salt, and the melted butter mixture until well blended.
- Arrange the pecans on the bottom of the pie crust and carefully pour the egg mixture over them. Bake until the filling is set and slightly puffed, about 45 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a thin knife in the center of the pie, if it comes out pretty clean, you’re good to go. Transfer the pie to rack and cool completely before cutting.