“Nice hearty, but still light, coffee cake for when something less sweet is desired. A nice streusel topping or sugared cream cheese topping adds extra interest. Frozen mixed berries also work well in this recipe.” – Calla Ferre
Blueberry-Oatmeal Breakfast Cake
- 1 1/3 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Quick Cooking Oats
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Frozen Blueberries
- Blueberries should be firmly frozen when used in baking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8-inch round baking pan; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In second bowl, combine milk, oil and egg. Pour at once into flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in firmly frozen blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden and pulls away from sides of pan, about 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm.
- This cake would be good with a coffee cake topping: (1 Cup Brown Sugar, 1/4 Cup Flour, 1/4 Cup Melted Butter, 4 Teaspoons Cinnamon, and 1 Cup Chopped Nuts.) Or a sugared cream cheese topping (see Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins.)
Recipe – Calla Ferre