“I had seen black bean and corn salads and wanted to try one. I scoured the internet for recipes, found one that looked the best to me, then adapted it to suit my tastes and limitations due to allergies. And yes, it is very good with all the optional ingredients left out!” – Calla Ferre
Black Bean & Corn Salad
- 2 15-Ounce- Cans Black Beans Drained & Rinsed
- 1 1/2 Cups Corn
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Yellow or Red Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Diced (Optional)
- 1 Avocado Diced (Optional)
- 1 Jalapeno Ribs and Seeds Removed, Minced (Optional)
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro Finely Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Honey
- 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder To Taste
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Large Clove Garlic Minced
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Heat a frying pan over medium high to high heat. When hot, place corn kernels directly into the pan using no oil or non stick sprays. Watch carefully and stir as needed. The idea is to char the sides of the corn just briefly. You are looking for a browning of the kernel; do not burn. Frozen or fresh work best for this. This gives the corn a little more barbecue or roasted flavor. Cool corn.
- Place the black beans, corn, onion, bell pepper and jalapeno in a large bowl. If using avocado and serving salad the same day, add it now. If planning to serve the next day wait to add this ingredient until the day of serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the beans and vegetables and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.