Beef Stroganoff (Tomato Soup Recipe)
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 4-Ounce Can or 1/2 Pound Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Pound Round or Sirloin Steak Cut In 1-Inch Strips
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 1/2 10.75-Ounce Can Tomato Soup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt Or to Taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper Or to Taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Basil
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- Sauté mushrooms in half of the butter for 5 minutes. Remove and add remaining butter. Brown meat.
- Add onion, soup and seasonings. Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. A cup of water may be added if necessary, and you may need to add additional water to prevent sauce from scorching.
- Add mushrooms and sour cream and heat until just hot. Do not cook after sour cream is added or it will curdle.
- Serve with cooked noodles (6-ounce package) or rice ring. Makes 6 servings.
1949 Recipe – Jean Hansen – St John’s Lutheran Church – West Bend, Wisconsin