Beef Stroganoff (Beef Consomme Recipe)
- 1 1/2 Pound Round Or Sirloin Steak Cut Into 1-Inch Strips
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Onion More If Desired
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 6 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika Mixed With 1 Cup Water
- 1 Can Beef Consomme Diluted With 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 4- Ounce Can Or 1/2 Pound Fresh Mushrooms
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Sauté mushrooms in half of the butter for 5 minutes. Remove and add remaining butter. Brown meat.
- Add onion, seasonings, water and soup. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. (A cup of water may be added if necessary).
- Add mushrooms and sour cream. Do not cook after sour cream is added or it will curdle.
- Serve with cooked noodles (6- ounce package) or rice ring. Makes 6 servings.
1949 Recipe – Jean Hansen – From St. John’s Lutheran Church; West Bend, Wisconsin