- 1 No. 2 1/2 Can (3 1/2 Cups) Apricot Halves
- 2 Medium Apples Pared And Cut Into 9 Pieces
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour Sifted
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 Cup Shortening
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- About 6 Teaspoons Butter
- 1 1/4 Cup Apricot Syrup Reserved
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 4-6 Apricot Halves Mashed
- Drain apricot halves and reserve syrup.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. cut in shortening until particles are the size of small peas. Add milk and stir until dough clings together in a ball. Roll out dough on floured surface to a 12×18 inch rectangle. Cut into six 6- inch squares.
- Place 3 apple slices, 2 or 3 apricot halves, and about a teaspoon of butter in the center of each. Fold corners to center and pinch together. Arrange dumplings in an 11×7 or 9×9 inch pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) for 15 minutes. Pour hot Apri-Cinnamon syrup over dumplings. Continue baking for 20-25 minutes until deep golden brown. Serve warm with Apricot topping or cream. Makes 6 dumplings.
- Apri-Cinnamon Syrup: In saucepan combine 1 1/2 cup reserved apricot syrup, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Apricot Topping: Beat whipping cream until thick. Fold in 1 tablespoon sugar and mashed apricot halves.
If you use Self-Rising Flour, omit baking powder and salt.
Recipe – Jean Hansen – From Pillsbury Bake Off Recipes