All Whole-Wheat Bread
- 7 3/4 to 8 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour Unsifted
- 4 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Packages (4 1/2 Teaspoons) Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- In a large mixing bowl thoroughly stir together 3 cups of whole wheat flour, salt, and undissolved yeast.
- Into a small sauce pan turn the milk, water and butter over low heat, heat until liquids are very warm (120 to 130 degrees); butter does not need to melt.
- Gradually stir into flour mixture and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed with electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup of flour, beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured smooth surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 50 minutes).
- Punch down dough and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise again.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven until loaves sound hollow when tapped (about 35 minutes). Turn out of pans onto wire rack and cool. Makes 2 loaves.
Recipe – Calla Ferre